I took Cheryl at ZanyMayd's advice and used less chenille bumps.
I used one for the arms and two for the body/legs. And I bent up the arm and leg ends so they weren't as pointy. I did add a stem to attach the head to, but I suppose I could have just attached the arms lower in the first place so I would have a good place to glue the head.
In case anyone is interested in trying your hand at these (let's not all hold our hands up all at once now), this is the contact sheet I made in Picasa with just heads from vintage postcards on it.
I didn't want to print out a bunch of postcards and then cut just the heads off (waste of precious ink), so I saved them in Picasa, copped out just the heads and then made a collage out of the head shots using the contact sheet as the type of collage with a page format of 8 1/2 x 11. Then I printed them out on card stock through Picasa with a print layout of 4x6.
Look they're all holding hands singing Kumbaya!
I think they look better than the 1st try, but still not what I was thinking they would look like. I still may use them on my Shiny Brite ornament tree though.