My Bleeding Heart

I thought today was an appropriate day to showcase my bleeding heart (Dicentra spectabilis).

This is one of my favorite early blooming perennials in my garden. They grow best in light shade. Mine gets quite a bit of morning sun and then is totally shaded by noon and it does just fine.

By the middle of summer this plant pretty much goes dormant. I have planted a large leaved host directly in front of it which pretty much takes over by the time the bleeding heart is done for the year.

You might wonder why I am showcasing my bleeding heart today of all days. Three words…

All My Children

Yes, it is true that I haven’t watched an entire episode of All My Children for YEARS. But I found it oddly comforting to have the soap still on the air after all this time.

So, my heart bleeds for the death of All My Children, but we all have to grow up and move on some time now don’t we.

A bit too melodramatic?

Linking with Cottage Flora Thursdays at Fishtail Cottage.

Comments

No, not too melodramatic. Entirely appropriate! (And beautiful.) It’s so sad. AMC was the second soap opera I ever got into. The first was Dark Shadows and that led straight into AMC. I haven’t watched it in years either, but it’s just so sad to think it won’t be there any more.

Pretty bleeding heart. I had a white one until the squirrels ate the roots.
    All the soaps are about gone. I know I haven’t watched them in years- probably why they got cancelled- but you are right, it was comforting to know that they were still there. They have always been in our lives and now, one by one, the are obsolete.
    Have a great weekend and do not mourn long- there’s always youtube and hula!
    Hugs- Tete

What ever will happen to Erica Kane? Will she move to Port Charles??? There’s plenty of men there she hasn’t married…yet.

I was saddened to hear it was going off, too.

Nice plant. Mine is so little and does not get bigger each year. I just hate to see that the soaps are being replaced by trashy reality shows!

Pat

I know just how you feel. I remember being sad when “As the World Turns” was cancelled. I started watching the show in high school. Although in later years I did not watch the show everyday, it seemed like the end to an era to me. It seems that soap operas are being replaced by reality tv. Anyway, the bleeding heart is absolutely beautiful! I must say that I am rather jealous because I can’t seem to grow those in California!

What beautiful shots of your bleeding heart! My heart DOES bleed for AMC, because I have faithfully watched it for 40 years! I’ve rarely missed an episode! Even when I go on vacation, I record it. It’s the end of an era. Sad. :-(

Pam

What beautiful photos, Pam! It’s been many years since I’ve watched All My Children, but I watched it for many years…in fact, Erica was in high school when I first started watching it!

Hi Pam – just popped over from my view to yours. Your photos are wonderful. Lovely to be greeted by your smiling face, on your profile. You say over 40!!! to me you look barely out of your teens.

We don’t have the same soaps over here.

Thank you for leaving a comment – so sweet.

Sue xx

OMG, I had no idea about AMC!!! It is amazing the ways in which I am informed about world news. Love the bleeding heart by the way!