The Not So Pretty Post

Occasionally in the comment section, I have been accused of having a clean house. The nerve of some people!

OK, it wasn’t as much accusatory as complementary, but still it made me think. I don’t want anyone to feel bad about not having a neat as a pin house themselves based on me and my white lies.

You see, it’s all smoke and mirrors, people.

I normally clean up the area directly connected to where I’m taking photos and throw all the clutter to the side where you can’t see it in the shot. Pretty vignette in front of the camera, hoarder’s garbage heap behind the camera.

So in the interest of full disclosure, this is what my living room looked like when I was taking last Tuesday’s photos of the printer’s box.

My son’s Furby on the end table. Wadded up electric throw thrown on the floor (is that why they call them throws?). Dog toys and videos sitting around. Dog drool and hair encasing the sofa.

And in order to take the photos, I have the camera tripod balancing precariously with one leg on the sofa, one leg on the therapy bench and one leg on the coffee table. With a kitchen chair scooted over there, so I could stand on top of it and look into the camera eyepiece. Of course this is all minus the camera, since it’s in my hand in this shot.*

And that is just this 1/4 of the room. Who knows what lies five feet to the right of the sofa.

Just remember, what you see online is just a teeny, tiny snapshot (pun intended) of a moment in the blogger’s life. Edited so you see what we want you to see. You never know what’s going on on the other side of the camera.

OK, go back to looking at pretty photos of other people’s houses now. Feel free to imagine what they are not showing you.

*BTW, I really don’t recommend this contraption at your own home, because you may put your foot on the coffee table with slippery socks (better than sticky socks, I suppose) and bump the tripod which then falls off the couch onto the dog, causing you to have to lunge for your camera before it falls on the floor. Believe me, it can happen.

Find Me On Facebook My Pinterest Boards My Instagrams

Comments

I’m glad for your honesty! Because I’m the type to think that maybe my KIDS are more of a handful than others, let alone my house messier! ;) Thank you for stopping by my blog! :) I’m glad I found yours. I’ll be visiting :)

Awe, so that’s the secret? …lol that is way too funny…love your honesty! …I think your house is lovely! And we’ll decorated…keep those great posts coming!

And here I was thinking that you were as perfect as me! LOL. Debby got a look at my laundry room the day of our paint workshop and I think that she was secretly glad to see that not all of my rooms are perfection. It WAS a sight to behold- all piled high with boxes and junk!

It’s all about the perfect shot! I totally have put myself into the strangest positions trying to strategically photograph parts of the house that don’t contain clutter and a zillion TOYS! Love ya, Pam!

Oh no the cotton or is it corn husks? Has been pulled from my eyes. I am proud you use a tripod. I have zero patience for mine and I know my photos suffer for it and my hands shake-all that drinking-wink.

It just dawned on me that I was
    laughing so hard I forgot to respond.

Love it! I’m sure it would be VERY
    interesting to see what we don’t
    see in everyone’s posts.

M :)

Very funny post. I could just visualize you standing up there on that chair trying to get just the right angle. I used to use the pic monkey clone tool (when it used to be free to use) to clone out weird things that showed up in pictures. Now I have to pay closer attention to see what may be in the shot before I take it. I find it difficult in my home to find places that are uncluttered enough and have enough light to take pictures. So I often photograph my vignettes with a science fair project trifold display board and whatever fabric background I can manage to drape over it. I still need to get a tripod.

You tickle me! And so did Carlene!
    : ) AW gee, who wants to live in a perfect house! Imperfection is much more fun! But your house IS beautiful no matter what!
    Love,