For Peat’s Sake

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
While perusing one of my favorite vintage/crafty blogs, Musings From Kim K., I ran across a post that showed how to turn peat pots into little Easter decorative baskets.

All of a sudden a light bulb came on in my head. I had seen things like this at gift shops and antique stores, but had no idea they were made with good old peat pots.

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
I found mine at the local grocery store, but I have seen them at Home Depot, Lowes and Big Lots too. Just about anywhere that sells gardening goods.

I did a couple versions of the little baskets just to show the versatility of what you can do with them.

A little bit country (image used was from Vintage Holiday Crafts)

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
a little bit rock ‘n roll Pottery Barn-ish (image used was from The Graphics Fairy)

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
and a little bit cottage-esque (image used was from who knows where – I’ve had it for years saved on my computer)

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
I’m sure I could have been a little more creative on these, using buttons, flowers or lace to bling them up a bit, but since I’m not a normally super crafty gal, I thought it better to stop when I was ahead on these.

Do you ever do that? Make a craft that is OK, then you start messing with it and before you know it it is in the trashcan. Then I won’t show you the Mod Podged sheet music one that is currently buried beneath coffee grounds and banana peels.

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
I thought I’d get a little wild on the handles though, so for this one I used wire that I had wrapped about a pencil to make a springy handle.

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
This handle is a tea dyed bumpy chenille stem.

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
And on this one I thought a tinsel stem that I had left over from Christmas was a good fit (matches well with the snowy glitter).

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
Now I just have to buy some Cadbury eggs to fill them up.

Super cute DIY decorative peat pot Easter baskets
Go on over to Kim’s blog and check out her post with a easy to follow tutorial HERE.

Super easy to make DIY Easter craft using gardening peat pots.  Tutorial shows you three different styles including french country farmhouse, industrial and cottage!

Comments

Pam-Those are darling! And, yes, I have gone a bit too far while trying to add just one more detail and wrecked something! A bit too much distressing can make a newly painted piece look really crappy- trust me on this! I’d say on this project you did just enotgh! xxoo Diana Hugs-Diana

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. I especially love the springy wire handle. I’m just so happy to see someone attempt my craft! Beautiful photos. Looks right out of a magazine. Great job, Pam!

I have two bags of mini peat pots that I bought to make favors for a wedding shower. I need to “borrow” your idea for the wire handle, Pam. Too clever….
    ~ Sue

Those turned out really cute! I love your descriptions!! And yes, I have gone overboard on some projects and then ended up hating them!
    Jane

These little baskets are darling! I love them and what a great job you did. They’re so little! How cute they are!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

Very cute…I like the one with the hare. I bought some of those peat pots about a month ago so that I could do something like this too…haven’t done it yet though.

Very cute peat pots for easter…I did some with a little different twist. YOU should check my blog out (older post) when you have a minute. Thanx for sharing. I enjoyed your blog, tiff

What a sweet idea Pam…Loved them! By the way, are your talking about the caramel filled Cadbury eggs? They are my absolute favorite, but for some reason this year I haven’t been able to find them anywhere…Arrgh! Just have to have one…Hee, hee, hee. Have a wonderful day.

Hugs and Smiles,
    ♥Ana

Those are really cute…you did great! I know what you mean about “blinging” them into the trash! Ha! Often, simple is better..and I love yours! Thanks for visiting my blog—-have a wonderful day!

These are so adorable. I love them all especially the one with the bunny graphic. So many possibilities with these little pots. Yes, I know the feeling of over accessorizing, a little can go a long way. Did you mention Cadbury eggs? I won’t be able to get them off my mind!!

Pam, I love these. So cute. I really should have done some of these with the kids. I forget how inexpensive they are. Yours look great!