Sweet and salty potato chip and chocolate chip cookie made in a cast iron skillet.
Way back in the 1970's my sister used to make potato chip cookies. It was quite innovative at the time. A little outside the box.
Today I am putting a little spin on that yummy 70's snack idea by adding chocolate chips and making them (it?) in a cast iron skillet!
What the what?
One big old honkin' cookie of goodness. Both salty and sweet at the same time and just loaded with taste!
My cast iron skillet is somewhat new and it came pre-seasoned. Yawn. I'm not sure why they even put that label on a cast iron skillet, because it was NOT truly pre-seasoned. Not seasoned like your grandmother would have seasoned it.
But oh well, I seasoned it up the good old fashioned way and have been frying stuff up in it for the last few months.
BTW, Jessi at Practically Functional has a great tutorial on How To Clean And Season A Dirty Or Rusty Cast Iron Skillet if yours is in need of a good seasoning.
And then I thought, hey, let's bake up a big old cookie in it!
This was my first time baking in my cast iron skillet and it will not be the last!
I did grease the bottom and sides with a little bit of butter prior to putting the batter in it. If your skillet is properly seasoned (like really really seasoned, not fake marketing talk kind of seasoned), you should not have to do this, but I was not taking any chances with this hunky piece of sweet and salty Heaven.
Can I say hunky and Heaven in the same sentence?
Potato Chip And Chocolate Skillet Cookie Recipe
Potato Chip And Chocolate Skillet Cookies
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter or margarine softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- caramel flavored topping to drizzle on top Optional
- sea salt to sprinkle on top Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, softened butter or margarine and vanilla extract. Beat on medium until creamy.
- Add egg and beat.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Gently stir in chocolate chips and crushed potato chips by hand.
- Spread evenly into your cast iron skillet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until the top is light golden brown.
Have you made a cookie in your cast iron skillet yet?
GIVEAWAY UPDATE: I almost forgot!!! The winner of the Plaid Lunchbox and Amazon Gift Card Giveaway was Debra from Florida! I've already contacted her and sent her gift out. I am so on the ball this weekend, must be all the chocolate chips I ate while making the cookie!