If you noticed that I have been MIA for a bit . . .
I flew to Portland, Oregon for a few days to go to my niece's wedding and to visit with the part of my family that lives out there. And I thought it was as good a time as any to unplug and get a taste of life without all the constant online "noise".
Like it was back in the olden days.
And I learned that I can live a few days without obsessively checking out blogs, facebook and instagram. It won't kill me. Really. I am living proof.
Some other things I learned on this trip are . . .
Ten Things I Learned On My Trip To Portland:
- The sun DOES shine occasionally in Portland.
- It's harder to find Big Foot than you would think.
- There are a lot of waterfalls around Portland. Although after looking at the tenth one, they all start to look the same.
- People in Oregon like their Ducks and Beavers.
- Sturgeon can grow really really big. I met a fish named Herman at the Bonneville Fish Hatchery that was over ten feet long and over 70 years old.
- Portland has a lot of cool trendy neighborhoods with cool trendy people walking around.
- Thrift stores and antique shops in Oregon basically carry the same kind of stuff you find back East.
- There is a Hawthorne Street in Portland. I'm pretty sure they named it after my blog.
- I don't like driving on narrow mountain roads where they have rocks as "guardrails" and on the other side of the "guardrail" is a 300 foot drop.
- 3 full days is just not enough time to do everything you want to do in Portland. This is a 7 day-er kind of city.
- I can go away from home for a few days by myself and my house won't implode and my son will still remember me when I get back.
BTW, Portland's unofficial slogan is "Keep Portland Weird". Just in case you had no idea what the title of this post meant.
Have you ever been to Portland?