It had a cute flower detail on the top.
And some really cruddy, really dusty and sort of disgusting fabric on the seat.
I originally was conflicted as to whether I should refinish the wood-stained finish or just paint it, but when I attempted to refinish a small portion of it I realized that this was not a real antique and was made of three different types of wood.I didn't think it would refinish well, so I went ahead and brought out my paint.After removing the seat (unscrewed 4 little screws on the bottom), I applied Klean Strip Liquid Sander Deglosser to the finish. It's easier and faster to work with than sandpaper when you have a lot of intricate details. You just pour some on a rag, wipe it on and wait for it to dry.
Once the deglosser was dried, I applied one coat of Rust-Oleum's Painter's Touch Ultra Coverage Primer in white
and followed that up with two coats of Rust-Oleum's Ultra Coverage Heirloom White satin paint.
I decided to use the Heirloom White again because I wanted to match another piece in my living room. Besides, you can't go wrong with off-white.
I then distressed it and applied Minwax's Golden Oak stain over the paint to warm up the off-white a little and highlight the flowers.
The original seat was a little hard so I added a little more padding to it and then recovered it with a new fabric (after I got rid of all that old nasty fabric that was on there - three different layers of somewhat questionable fabric choices).
And here is the finished product.
It now matches my table that I re-did a few weeks ago.